JW Player Support Site
Though a lot of time, energy, and thoughtfulness has gone into JW Player's existing support site and documentation, after several years, the design & build are now somewhat outdated.
We decided to embark on a project to refresh not only the design & structure — making the site mobile-responsive — we updated the content as well, to reflect our current way of understanding our products and our users.
We implemented a survey on the existing support site, to pinpoint from users where the problem areas were. Internally, we already knew of ways the site could be improved. I led interviews with the Support & Product teams to discover more.
Once we had an idea of what we wanted, it was time to add a new layer of color & depth. I worked with the design team to polish the look and enhance the functionality & structure laid out in the wireframes.
New Content Organization
With very technical subject matter, but a growing user base of non-developers (thanks in part to a SASS model adopted after the old support site was already created), we had a bit of a challenge on our hands.
Luckily, this project coincided with the creation of JW Player's new Developer Portal, so we had a much clearer picture of the user this site would be for; all existing code examples more complicated than basic parameters would be moved to the Developer site, and remaining instructions & explanations would be split into two parts: dashboard instructions and simple code instructions.
On a level above that, our categorizations needed to be changed. We found that users had difficulty navigating our support site sections, and the support team was constantly emailing links of existing documentation to users who couldn't find it themselves.